How does it work?

In order for the provisions of the Professional Qualifications Directive to apply, a person who wishes to work in a regulated profession in another EU country must have the right to work in that same profession in their homeland (EU country). An example could be a licensed nurse who wants to work as a nurse in another EU country.

If you meet the basic requirements, the Professional Qualifications Directive is for you. If you want to work temporarily in another country, the rules are easier. There can, however, be specific requirements for your profession. Which of the directive's rules that apply to you depends on different circumstances, for example:

If you'll be working for a long time in another country, you may need to apply for the right to work in your profession in the other country. You may need a license, authorisation or similar. In every country, you can find information about the application process, what documents you need to submit and if a fee is required for your application to be assessed.

If you're planning on working temporarily in another country, authorisation is often not required in order to work in your profession. There are, however, several professions in which you may not work even temporarily without first contacting the public authority responsible for the profession. 

Professions where you must first contact the public authority

The responsible public authority may require those who are planning on working temporarily in another EU country to inform them in writing beforehand, so-called prior notification. The responsible authority may also require that the prior notification contain documentation, for example education and ID documents. In Sweden, the following professions require prior notification. You can find out what exactly is required by clicking on the profession listed. 


Estate agent 

Professions that require prior documentation for review

For these professions, the responsible public authority may review certain documents even for those who will be working temporarily in the country. This is called prior review. In Sweden, prior review is required for certain professions. You can find out more by clicking on the profession listed.

Healthcare professions

Security guards (Information in Swedish)


The European Professional Card is an electronic certification of your professional qualifications that you can use if you plan on working in another EU country. 

Find out more about what professions can use the EPC and how you apply

Whether your profession is regulated or not regulated in the country you're from can affect the processing of your application in the country in which you'd like to work, if the profession is regulated there. If your profession isn't regulated in the country you come from, the responsible authority in the country in which you wish to work can require that you show you've worked one year in that profession.

This rule does not apply if your education in the profession is regulated.

Find out what professions are regulated in Sweden

Every EU country has gathered information on what business owners need to do to start a company in their country. In Sweden, information can be found here at UHR's website as well as at, Sweden's portal för services to businesses in Sweden.

Find out more at

I varje EU-land finns det samlad information om hur företagare ska gå till väga för att starta företag. I Sverige finns den informationen samlad här på UHR:s webbplats samt på (webbportal för företagande i Sverige) .


You can always contact the Assistance Centre for help and advice if you're not sure what applies to you.

Last updated: 30 November 2020