I want to apply for an evaluation

Who can apply for an evaluation and what do you need to prepare before you apply? You can find our more here, as well as in the online application.

Online application

You apply for an evaluation of your foreign qualifications and upload your documents in our online application tool

Documents to upload in your application

  • Degree certificate/diploma in the original language and translated where necessary.
    A degree certificate is a document that shows the qualification awarded. Please remember to also enclose the reverse side of the diploma.
  • Official transcript – a list of the courses that were included in your degree/qualification. In the original language and translated where necessary. The personal official transcript should state
    - the subjects included in your degree
    - how long you studied each subject (credits)
    - the grade you received in each subject
    - whether you wrote a degree project (not for Upper-secondary education)

Other ways to submit documents

For some countries, we often request documentation in addition to what we generally require. This can vary depending on what education level you have. Find out what applies by reading the information for your country of study.

Submitting additional documents

We'll contact you by email if you need to submit additional documentation. You can then upload any missing document directly to your application

Uploading is the fastest and easiest way to get your documents to us, but you're also welcome to send copies using the postal service. Send them to:

The Swedish Council for Higher Education
Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

Write your case number on all your documents. You can find it in the attached letter to the confirmation email you received after submitting your application. Your documents don't require attestation. We won't begin processing your application until all of your documents have arrived. Be sure to submit everything required as soon as possible. 

If you already have a recognition statement from us you only need to submit a new application if, since then, you've completed a new foreign degree. 

Am I eligible to receive a recognition statement?

We can evaluate your qualifications if you are from an EU/EEA country or have a Swedish residence permit, work permit or valid LMA card. If you are in Sweden and waiting for a decision by the Swedish Migration Agency, please submit a copy of the email confirming that your application has been received.

Documenting your right to apply

The following documents can be submitted in order to document your right to apply for an evaluation:

  • Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) – log in with your Bank ID or submit a population registration certificate (personbevis), Swedish driver's licence, or Swedish identity card. You can order a population registration certificate from the Swedish Tax Authority

  • EU/EES citizen - submit a copy of your passport or national identification card. Your passport copy must contain the page with your name and other personal data.

  • Citizen of a country outside the EU/EES – submit a copy of your passport AND documentation of one of the following:
    1. Swedish residence permit, work permit or valid LMA card. If you’re currently in Sweden and waiting for a decision, please submit confirmation from the Swedish Migration Agency that they have received your application.
    2. Family member of an EU citizen – submit a copy of your residence card or certification of right of residence from the Swedish Migration Agency.
    3. Long-term resident of an EU country – You may have the right to a residence permit in Sweden. Find out more at the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

If you live outside EU/EES and do not live up to claim 1-3 you can not apply for an evaluation.

Proof of name change

If the name on your education documents is different than the name you currently have, you need to submit documentation of your name change. Examples of accepted documents are identity cards, marriage certificates or other official documentation that indicates both names. Order a population register certificate from the Swedish Tax Agency


If you have documents issued in a language other than English, French, Spanish, German or a Nordic language, they must be translated. The translation must be done by an authorised translator to Swedish or one of the above languages.

Find a translator via Kammarkollegiet

If you are registered with Arbetsförmedlingen, it is possible to have documents translated for free.

Original documents

To ensure quality, we sometimes ask to see your original documents. Therefore, you should be prepared to submit original documents if asked to do so. If we suspect your documents have been forged, an investigation will be started that can lead to a police report.


We have gathered many commonly asked questions and their answers on the FAQ.

What a foreign qualification corresponds to in Sweden

In the Qualifications Assessment Tool you can easily find out what your foreign qualification corresponds to in Sweden. Download a pdf and use it when you apply for a job or plan further studies.

Qualifications Assessment Tool - Swedish Council for Higher Education

How to apply for a recognition statement

See how UHR's recognition of foreign qualifications works and how you apply for a recognition statement.

Last updated: 19 June 2023