I want to work in Sweden

If you have a foreign qualification you can get it evaluated in Sweden. This may give you a statement that makes things easier when you are looking for work, both for you and for potential employers.

You can apply for jobs without having received a recognition statement, but the evaluation should be regarded as an aid for employers when comparing your foreign qualification with a Swedish one. We do not issue qualifications, instead we compare your qualification with a Swedish one.

Depending on your qualification and the profession in which you want to work, you need to approach different authorities:

Professions that do not require authorisation (non-regulated professions)

If you have completed foreign higher education (at least two years), foreign higher vocational education (at least one year) or upper-secondary education, you can have it evaluated by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR). You will then receive a statement you can use when applying for work, to prove which foreign qualification you have. The statement briefly describes the Swedish qualification to which yours is equivalent.

You can apply for an evaluation of your qualification via our web application.

Professions that require authorisation (regulated professions)

Certain professions are regulated through Swedish legislation that defines what the requirements are for working the profession, e.g. a particular qualification or authorisation, or other formal recognition. In order to work in such a profession, you must apply for recognition from that profession’s competent authority. If you are an EU/EEA citizen, special rules apply in accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC. There are also other directives that regulate professions.

Read more about regulated professions

Are you a teacher?

You should be aware that pre-school teacher and teacher are regulated professions in Sweden. The Swedish National Agency for Education (Skolverket) is the competent authority for issuing certification for these professions.

If you have a foreign teaching degree and want to work in Sweden, you can also apply to UHR for an evaluation of your foreign qualification. The statement is not a certification, but it can be used to make it easier for you to find work in other sectors or for an employer to see whether your qualifications are suitable for a fixed-term appointment in a school. 

More information about teacher certification is available on the National Agency for Education’s website

Professions with sector-specific requirements

Some professions have requirements that regulate that specific sector. Arbetsförmedlingen has a list of professions with information about the necessary qualifications and requirements. The Valideringsinfo web portal provides help with finding the right sector organisation.

Read more about different professions on Arbetsförmedlingen’s website

Last updated: 9 June 2023